Tuesday 31 January 2012

Le Toux now a 'Cap

Union trade all-star Le Toux to Vancouver

In one of the most bizarre moves of the MLS off-season, the Philadelphia Union trade one of their franchise players, French striker Sebastian Le Toux, to the Vancouver Whitecaps for allocation money. Union head coach Peter Nowak explains to MLSSoccer.com that this move was related to the future of the franchise. This was just shortly after Number one goalkeeper and captain Faryd Mondragon left Philly to go back to Columbia.

Image courtesy of CBCSports.ca


As much as I understand the coach explaining how the team wants to move further with future stars, the team also lost their top scorer and the face of the franchise, and I certainly believe nothing hurts more than seeing your favourite player leave for another team for just plain ol' cash.

I will have to step on the fans' side on this one, mainly because I feel their pain. I have gone through the same experiences before with my favourite teams (Example: Oliver Neuville traded to Leverkusen in 1999 from Hansa), and I know how much fans hold onto their favourite players.

There's a great relationship between a player and a fan. A fan would buy their merchandise, hunts down their hero to sign it, and dream of the game-winning goal every night. I was like that when I was little, and I still am. Not that I'm obsessed with Jack Jewsbury or Philipp Lahm, but I do appreciate everything they do for their clubs.

Needless to say, this trade was probably a shocker for other MLS clubs as well. The Whitecaps will look very dangerous this season. Hassli and Le Toux sounds like a threat to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment